Today's Eagles training camp practice was held indoors and closed to the fans because it was raining outside. And not just a light drizzle either; we're talking about torrential downpours here. Jimmy Kempski's car almost floated away down Broad Street. OK, I'm exaggerating a little. Let's get to today's notes.
• As I already mentioned, practice was held indoors because of the rain. Here's a video of the view I had watching today's practice from inside the Eagles practice bubble. Also, the players weren't wearing pads today.
• Real NFL officials (as opposed to the fake ones from early in the season last year) were at practice today.
• Brandon Boykin made an interception today! After previously knocking down every ball thrown his way all camp, he finally got his hands on the ball. He was probably just tired of doing push-ups. I'm not sure who threw the INT, but I don't think it was Michael Vick. Later in the practice Boykin forced a fumble by poking the ball free from Zach Ertz.
• QB UPDATE: Vick threw a pass into the human fly-swatters. Later in the practice he hit Greg "I Catch Everything" Salas with a nice ball. Matt Barkley struggled today but a positive about him is that he really gets the ball out quick sometimes. He has a good sense of anticipation at times. Nick Foles made some very nice throws.
• The highlight play of the day was a Nick Foles 50 yard bomb deep to Damaris Johnson. Johnson reeled the catch in over his shoulder with two defenders in close pursuit. The ball placement couldn't have been any more perfect: right on Johnson's hands. Great timing and execution by Foles and Johnson.
• I forget that Zach Ertz is a tight end sometimes when watching him play. I see # 86 and I think, "What WR is that?" only to be reminded that it's Ertz. Between the way the Eagles line him up and his body type/skill set, you can see where my confusion comes from.
• FB/TE Emil Igwenagu dropped at least one pass. Just not a good camp for him.
• GJ Kinne was seen on the kickoff coverage team. Nothing to see here, just some good ol' training camp fun.
• "This isn't a situation we can brush under the rug. It's going to take some time. [...] I don't think this is a situation that will go away by tomorrow."
• "[...] Riley made a heinous mistake. [...] That's not the Riley I know."
• Chip said he felt like it's definitely possible this situation could cause some division in the locker room: "Obviously, it's a very hot topic." He also said that's why it's important for the team to have open communication with each other.
• Kelce said he didn't realize what Cooper said at the time when he was there with Cooper. " I didn't really [realize it]. All I remember was there was a lot of chaos at that moment, and I was trying to separate them."
• On whether teammates have accepted Cooper's apology: "Most of the guys that I've talked to [have accepted it], especially the guys who know him."
Riley Cooper - (Picture)
• When asked if Cooper could survive the upcoming season under the spotlight: "It's tough."
• On if he has thoughts of leaving the Eagles: "Absolutely not. I love the city of Philadelphia."
• "I had the chance to talk to the team as a unit, but I haven't had the chance to address [teammates] individually."
• Cooper said he's going to apologize to the security guard he offended.
• DeSean Jackson (toe injury, minor) and Bradley Fletcher (groin) left practice early and did not return.
• Dennis Kelly missed practice with a back injury. Ed Wang and Derek Carrier also missed practice. Arrelious Benn is still out.
• Cary Williams practiced today after being out with a hamstring injury since the first day of practice.
• WR BJ Cunningham (foot) was waived by the Eagles with an injury settlement.
Up next: Another day of practice tomorrow before an off day on Saturday (8/3).