Coming into the season, the Eagles were though to have three good tight ends for a reason. Eleven games in, the three tight end sets have been few and far between, but if we have learned anything about Chip Kelly, he will go to that package if he needs to change it up.
The Eagles drafted Zach Ertz in the second round of last year's draft, and he is coming on nicely and looks like he will be a good tight end for years to come, especially as a pass catcher. The tight end class this season has a lot of top tier talent, and a few players who may make an impact later in the draft including former Oregon tight end Colt Lyerla, who is going through some legal issues. If he is acquitted and is allowed to enter the NFL draft, it would not surprise anyone if Chip Kelly took a flier on him in the 7th round, or as an undrafted free agent. Colt Lyerla is a first round talent, but will not likely get drafted by anyone but Chip Kelly for obvious reasons. Chip knows him better than any coach in the NFL, so if he was a problem at Oregon and Kelly passes on him, he may never play in the NFL. But definitely a top tier talent.
Here are the tentative tight end rankings for the upcoming draft class:
More from Bleeding Green Nation:
- Crunching The Numbers: Week 11
- All-22: Breaking Down Chip Kelly's Screen Game
- Eagles Punter Donnie Jones named NFC Special Teams Player of the Week
- Eagles Precision Play of the Week: Connor Barwin Crushes RG3
- Former Eagles backup QBs Trent Edwards and Mike Kafka tryout for the Falcons
- The Linc - Andy Reid's Final Favor