clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Updated: Players Decide Not To Vote On CBA Deal Tonight

[Update by JasonB, 07/21/11 10:04 PM EDT ] The players have concluded a conference call tonight and did not vote on the deal ratified by the owners this evening. The executive committee says they still need time to review the "finishing details" of the CBA sent to them by the owners. They could still ratify this deal, but it won't be tonight.

It's been interesting to see the narrative of the events of today and yesterday be spun in every different direction. As of now, it appears as though we all may have been sold a bill of goods by the owners (just like all summer) about the very logistics of this deal.

Yesterday, the news was that the players were "supposed" to vote on the new CBA. Later we learned that was never the case. Not only did the players not intend to vote that day, they say they didn't really even have something to vote on. And when the owners approved their deal today, the players claim they literally did not even have the document to look at until very recently.

Essentially, the owners approved the deal they drew up, which to be fair was largely made up of all the stuff that was agreed upon, and said to the players "here you go, sign it!" So at this point, the players are just beginning to go over the actual document that was sent to them by the owners. When you consider that, it's pretty easy to see why the players wouldn't even hold a vote tonight. They still need to go over everything to ensure that it's all what they've agreed to previously.

Quintin Mikell told Geoff Mosher this evening that the ratification process could take time.

“The thing is, it can take two weeks, it can take 20 minutes,” safety Quintin Mikell told me tonight. “It all boils down to how good the information is and how easily basically everyone can understand it and have it explained to them. Communication is the key right now.”

More explanation after the jump.

So, while the players may not hold a vote tonight or even tomorrow, that doesn't necessarily mean the union will not ratify the deal. All they are really saying at the moment is that they need to look it over. How on earth the two sides did not have the same document is beyond me. It's so ridiculous that it almost defies belief, yet here we are. The players say they haven't seen this exact proposal and need to go over it.

Over the course of them doing that, it's certainly possible that other issues could come up. One of the issues that the players say they never agreed to with the owners the supplemental revenue sharing plan that Roger Goodell mentioned. That plan will share revenue with franchises  if they are distressed or in need of money. That may or not may not be a plan that the NFLPA is ok with.

The players have until Tuesday to accept this deal. They will be allowed back into team facilities this weekend even if the full union has not ratified the deal. However, Roger Goodell did seem to say that at the very least the players' executive committee would have had to agreed to a deal.