Philadelphia Eagles running back LeSean McCoy has earned yet another honor to his already highly decorated collection. McCoy has been named the recipient of the 2014 John Wanamaker Athletic Award. As described by DiscoverPHL.com:
Since 1961, the John Wanamaker Athletic Award has been presented annually to the athlete, team or organization that has done the most to reflect credit upon Philadelphia and to the team or sport in which they excel.
McCoy was up against Claude Giroux (Philadelphia Flyers), Cliff Lee (Philadelphia Phillies), Danny Garcia (WBA/WBC Super Lightweight Champion), James Bell (Villanova University Basketball), Michael Carter-Williams (Philadelphia 76ers), Rondell White (West Chester University Football), Saint Joseph's University (Men's and Women's Basketball Teams), Sons of Ben (Philadelphia Union Supporters Group), and the University of Pennyslvania (Women's Basketball Team, Ivy League Champions).
McCoy made a statement upon receiving this honor. (Quote via Philly.com)
"I am humbled and appreciative to be named the John Wanamaker Award winner for 2014. It's an unbelievable honor to share an award that has been previously won by Doctor J [Julius Erving], Reggie White, Charles Barkley, Randall Cunningham, Bernard Hopkins and Mike Schmidt," McCoy said. "It is an amazing feeling. I want to thank my teammates, my coaches and the entire Eagles organization for believing in me and giving me an opportunity to play in this great city of Philadelphia."
Other awards McCoy won based on his 2013 performance:
• NFL FedEx Ground Player of the Year
• Led the NFL in rushing yards (1607) and yards from scrimmage (2146). First time an Eagles player led the league in both categories since Steven Van Buren in 1947.
• Eagles franchise records broken: Single season rushing yards, Single season scrimmage yards, Single game rushing yards
• FedEx Ground Player of the Week (3x)
• NFC Offensive Player of the Week
• NFC Offensive Player of the Month (December)
• 2014 NFL Pro Bowler
• 2013 PWFA All-NFL Team
• 2013 AP NFL First Team All-Pro
• Self-awarded championship belt (pictured)