Will Leitch from Sports on Earth released an article on Tuesday entitled "The NFL's most tortured fan bases." Leitch ranks all 32 team's fan bases from least to most spoiled. To no surprise, the Eagles are near the top of the list (near least spoiled). Year after year, Eagles fans have to hear trash talk about how the Eagles have never one a Super Bowl. The Eagles had some good years under Andy Reid, but any playoff runs always ended up short of the ultimate goal. They ended up being teases.
Here's what they had to say about the Eagles fan base:
5) Philadelphia Eagles. (Super Bowl appearances: 2. Super Bowl wins: 0.) Every team's fans want a championship, but I think you can make an argument that no team's fans want a championship more than Eagles' fans. It's not particularly healthy, all told, and I'm not sure they deserve one as much as some others, but the coach and quarterback who bring a title to Philadelphia will be lionized. And then of course hit with something. But lionized first.
Obligatory Philly dig aside, this blurb couldn't be any more accurate. I can't even begin to imagine how revered the team who finally brings Philly a Super Bowl to Philly will be.
The teams that finished at the top of the list were, in order, the Buffalo Bills, the Cleveland Browns, the Detroit Lions, and the Minnesota Vikings. The Steelers were all the way at the bottom. The Eagles' NFC East rivals ranked as follows: 27) Giants, 23) Cowboys, and 11) Washington.
Thankfully for Eagles fans, it looks like there's a chance the suffering could come to an end in the near future. The Eagles are coming off a 10-6 season where most did not even see them making the playoffs. The current regime is inspiring. Jeff Lurie doesn't meddle in team affairs the way owners like Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones do. Chip Kelly is a promising head coach that proved he can put together a top offense. Nick Foles is looking like the Eagles answer at quarterback and there are plenty of other talented and young players on the roster. Of course, the current potential doesn't pan out the Eagles could easily find themselves back at the very top of this list.
- BGN Offseason Round Table: Eagles wide receivers and tight ends
- Philadelphia Eagles Have 10th Most Salary Cap Space Heading Into 2014 NFL Offseason
- 2014 NFL Draft Profile: Louisville DE/OLB Marcus Smith
- The Linc - LeSean McCoy Is Ready for Some Super Bowl Rings
- 2015 Super Bowl Odds: Eagles 25/1 to Win It All
- 2014 NFL Mock Draft: Mocking the Draft Goes Three Rounds Deep