Dallas Cowboys running back DeMarco Murray has been fined $21,000 for an illegal hit on Eagles rookie defensive tackle Damion Square. The hit took place during the Eagles division-clinching 24-22 win over the Cowboys on Sunday Night Football.
The play occured near midway through the first quarter. Cowboys QB Kyle Orton threw a short pass to Murray, who then proceeded to run up field. Square then tried to "tackle" Murray but was met by a rude awakening instead.
There was no flag thrown for this play, but there easily should have been. Murray clearly lowered the crown of his helmet into the neck area of the defender. The NFL passed a rule prior to this season in order to prevent running backs from lowering their head and initiating contact with the crown of their helmets like this.
- Pierre Thomas Injury: Saints Running Back Ruled Out Against Eagles
- Eagles vs. Saints 2014: Simulating the Game
- Eagles vs. Saints 2014: BGN Radio Playoff Preview
- Eagles vs. Saints Final Injury Report: Earl Wolff Questionable
- Eagles vs. Saints Odds: Picking against the Spread
- 2014 NFL Playoffs, Eagles vs. Saints: Game time, TV schedule, online streaming, and more