Let's jump right in to today's notes from Eagles training camp:
• No pads today. Shorts and shells only.
• Prior to practice, the Eagles signed a DE named Eddie McClam. I imagine they wanted an extra body at DE/OLB with Phillip Hunt out due to a ACL tear. McClam signed after working out for the Eagles this morning and practiced today. He's wearing the #74 jersey.
• The Eagles had the special teams crew catch some lob passes down the sideline from the QBs while warming up. Donnie Jones showed great hands. LS James Winchester looks like a natural receiver (he actually did get some reps there in college).
• QB UPDATE: Michael Vick threw a great ball to Clay Harbor in tight coverage down the field against the sideline. Nick Foles was picked off in the endzone by Brandon Boykin (no pushups!). It looked like Foles didn't get enough "oomph" into his deep pass attempt. Later in practice, Foles had a swell completion to Greg "The Ultimate Weapon" Salas.
For most of the practice, Vick took reps with the starters. Foles got reps with the starters (11 on 11) later in the practice though.
• I've mentioned Matt Barkley's lack of arm strength before quite a few times in these notes. Adam Caplan weighed in on the subject today:
One thing you notice with Barkley when compared to Vick and Foles: He has to manipulate his body to get torque on throws 20 yards+.— Adam Caplan (@caplannfl) August 17, 2013
• Flashback to 2007 Oregon Duck days: Dennis Dixon completed a great deep ball to newly acquired WR Jeff Maehl. Maehl caught the ball over his shoulder and maintained focus to keep both feet in-bounds. (Note: Maehl and Dixon never actually played with each other, but here at BGN I don't let facts get in the way of my clever jokes.)
• The Eagles practiced that lateral throw play they ran with Nick Foles against the Panthers.
• Rookie S Earl Wolff saw first team reps again today despite not starting in Thursday's game. Wolff received first team reps in last week's practices as well.
• On a related note, Patrick Chung didn't seem to be a full participant in practice. He was held out of some drills. He wasn't listed on the injury report, so maybe he was just being rested.
• DE Clifton Geathers practiced in true Philly fashion: wearing sweatpants. Yes, even during live action drills.
• WR/TE Clay Harbor made some nice catches today. I'd be surprised if he doesn't make the team at this point.
HC Chip Kelly
• Chip spoke highly of Jason Kelce "Jason Kelce's done a really good job. [...] There's a distinct difference when he's in the lineup."
• "I would love to name a starting QB right now." ... but, he didn't.
• Chip said the decision on who will start in the Eagles third preseason game against Jacksonville will be determined on Monday.
• Did not practice: TE Emil Igwenagu (concussion), OG Danny Watkins (concussion), RB Felix Jones (oblique), OT Dennis Kelly (back), CB Curtis Marsh (broken hand), ILB Casey Matthews (knee), S Kenny Phillips (quad).
• Returned to practice: LS Jon Dorenbos, RB Bryce Brown, OT Jason Peters, OT Ed Wang.
Up next: After today, Eagles training camp practice is only open to the media for the first 20 minutes of practice each day. There won't be much to see in that first 20 minutes anyway, so, I won't be in attendance. The next Eagles practice I'll attend is the last open practice at Lincoln Financial Field on Monday August 26th.