No sarcasm here, I'll admit, Vick looks really good. His speed looks better, he's throwing more accurately and he looks way more comfortable in the pocket than he did a year ago.
Here's my concern:
-He's not getting blitzed -- especially from the left side where teams like to attack him from so he has to throw from the right.
- He's not seeing any crazy disguised coverages. He's looking at base defenses with no game plan to get him rattled, which is what teams have done to him the past two seasons.
I don't trust Vick. We even got a glimpse of vintage Vick diving head first on the 2nd scramble slowly getting up.Will we see a new Vick when he gets blitzed, disguised coverages,, a Vick who protects himself from running?
Obviously, I'm not convinced, and that's my concern going into the season with a 33 year old QB who's likely not getting a long term contract with a rebuilding team. But yes, he looks fast, arm looks like a laser, and he's got plenty of highlight reels left in the tank.
- I have been kind of harsh on Kendricks because I thought he was more hype than actually good. I thought he had a good game yesterday. He could be AWESOME blitzing the QB up the middle.
- I think we have a good safety in Chung. He may not cover exceptionally well, but he makes plays around the ball. We haven't seen that since 2008 when Dawkins was here and he couldn't cover that well back then either.
- The QB controversy and the suspect defense is TOTALLY covering up the fact that our S/T look amazing. It hasn't looked this good in years. Many here probably won't remember, but part of success in the early 2000s was having a REALLY good S/T unit. A great kicker in Akers and great coverage units. It really helped out int he field position battle.
- I think our corners are going to need some time to gel a bit. LOVE the fiestyness of Williams though, it's almost surreal watching our DBs play with fire!!!!