Been gone today so I will give my observations from the Patriots game now. Thanks for the Twitter shoutout, MmmmKaye! I don't tweet a lot but I follow a good amount. On to what I saw:
- Vick may be declining but he still throws a beautiful and effortless deep ball. As Mike Kaye pointed out, I think that the decision at quarterback may come down to the style of QB that Kelly wants, not necessarily just the quality of that starter.
- Polk still looked outmatched vs. the "1s" of the Patriots. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, you can’t coach speed and Bryce has some to spare. He’s the more talented back and while I wouldn’t be concerned if Polk were our featured back due to injuries, I want Bryce as the number two back and want him to see a good amount of carries this year.
- JimmyK is right…when was the last time we saw our special teams make a play like that? Not only the great punt, but the communication and execution on the fly. I hope seeing our really good players on special teams is not just a preseason thing.
- If the 3-4 is going to work, Sop has to play the two-gap more effectively…all of the effective runs could have been stifled if he had held the point of attack. It’s early and a work in progress…but needs to improve.
- Kendricks….PERFECT coverage…just a PERFECTER throw.
- While Geathers needs to get more explosive with his first step, he is strong as an ox. Time after time I watched him puss the guard back into the pocket. We could use that in a 3 or 4 man front.
- Graham is DISRUPTIVE. No matter where you play him, he shows up. Opening kick off, I see a great play and a big hit to stop the returner inside the 20…I wonder who it is…It’s Graham. He plays the run and the pass very well and can get after the ball. If he can cover AT ALL, he is a player that must be on the field this year…maybe even moreso than Trent Cole.
- Vin Curry at 5 Tech was supposed to be a project. Didn’t much look like a project to me! I love his pass rush skills and I think he is a much better player with the weight on him….maybe even as a 4-3 end too. Looks to have put on lean muscle and kept his speed.
- Casey Matthews…I wanted you to look good. But he is still just a step or two too slow too often. If our better players are going to play special teams, no role for more than two special teams’ ace roles. Colt and Knott may have those locked up.
- Speaking of Special Teams. Good to have them special again. There is a saying in finances…you show me your budget and I will show you what you care about. All the emphasis Chip puts on Special Teams shows me he wants that unit to help change games. From the Jones-Boykin-Colt play, to the Damaris return…Me likey.
- Shepard seems next in line for that "Gadget Guy" role that Damaris seems to be billed for. I like what he brings to the table in terms of versatility, current ability, upside, and speed. He will only get better and I already like what I see.
- Last but not least…please, Chip Kelly…
REDUCE THE FONT OF YOUR PLAYCALL SHEET!!!