It took a while, but there is suddenly movement on the seasoned veteran free agent market. After months on the street, several veterans are starting to make deals happen with teams across the league. With training camps opening at a rapid pace this week, squads are likely trying to add a veteran presence in camp and old players are likely happy to avoid minicamps and OTA's. The start of training camp was essentially the "perfect storm" to start the older player "shopping spree."
- The Arizona Cardinals have signed two of the top remaining free agents in the span of 24 hours. The Cardinals signed Eric Winston to a one-year deal on Thursday morning. Bruce Arians' new team then signed sack artist John Abraham to a two-year deal later in the afternoon. Abraham will be making the Trent Cole-like move to rush linebacker from 4-3 defensive end. Abraham and Winston were cut by the Falcons and Chiefs respectively at the beginning of the offseason.
- The Titans have added another veteran to their offensive backfield. Tennessee signed Jackie Battle on Wednesday and he is likely to compete for backup snaps with Shonn Greene behind Chris Johnson. Battle played for the Chargers last year after spend five in Kansas City.
- Walking "Madden Curse" Peyton Hillis is now with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The former Brown, Bronco and Chief is likely to play fullback and running back for the Bucs. He signed a one-year deal after a workout earlier this week.
- A member of the "All-NFL Concussion Team," Laurent Robinson is making the rounds on the tryout circuit. He has tried out for the Jets, Patriots and Lions over the four days. Robinson is yet to receive an offer.
- Former Texans' defensive tackle Amobi Okoye is receiving interest from the Cowboys. Dallas is looking to solve the turnstile of defensive linemen that are already dropping like flies. Okoye has played for the Bears and Bucs over the last few years.
- Both long-time Jet offensive lineman Brandon Moore and former first round pick Sedrick Ellis retired today. Ellis just signed a one-year deal with the Bears but told the team he was hanging up his cleats. Moore remained a free agent throughout the offseason. As Brandon Lee Gowton said to me via text this morning, "Butt fumbles kill careers."
-Veterans like Vonta Leach, Quintin Mikell, Chris Gocong, Sheldon Brown and Kerry Rhodes remain unsigned. The Browns recently were reported to have passed on Rhodes. Leach is still considering a Ravens return.
- Former Eagle Mardy Gilyard has been cut by the Chiefs. Apparently, Gilyard is the only wide receiver to not benefit from the Chiefs only throwing the ball in the team's first few training camp practices.
- On a sad note, Cardinals sixth round pick and BGN staff favorite, Ryan Swope, was forced to retire Thursday due to lingering concussion issues. The former Texas A&M Aggie ran a 4.34 at the Combine and had decent size for a slot receiver.