Recently the Football Guys did a podcast with Greg Cosell (http://t.co/3fe5ZNce7z). Starting at about minute 18:30 they start to talk about the Eagles
and Chip Kelly. Greg is very careful to mention he doesn’t know much about Chip Kelly outside of Oregon, but did watch Oregon tapes.
When discussing the Eagles’ offense and what Chip Kelly might do, he said a few things which were interesting:
1) At Oregon the standard offense kept only 5 men to block each down. In his opinion, this won’t work in the NFL.
2) At Oregon, the QBs all were at least a threat to run, which occupied the attention of one of the DL when they ran the Read Option. In his opinion the only threat to run on the Eagles’ team right now is Vick. If the QB is Nick Foles
, he won’t be running that offense.
3) He mentioned the Eagles loading up on TEs, and said he thought they would run more of a 2 TE 1 RB base. The idea is that you keep the defense in their base look and that would allow you to create mismatches.
4) Sure Kelly will try to play fast, but 20 teams this year will try to play fast.
5) He stated he doesn’t see Chip Kelly coming in a changing the league
Other interesting bits include his opinion that he doesn’t think there’s enough evidence to show the read-option will be long term successful, how Andrew Luck
might be a top 3 QB this year, and how hard it was for him to learn football having never played it as a kid. Interesting throughout.