According to a report from ESPN Insider Adam Schefter, the Eagles have traded veteran nose tackle Isaac Sopoaga and the Eagles 2014 6th round pick in exchange for the Patriots' 2014 5th round draft pick. To repeat:
Eagles get: 5th round draft pick (2014)
Patriots get: Isaac Sopoaga, 6th round draft pick (2014)
Sopoaga signed a 3 year deal with the Eagles in the off-season, but it was likely he would never last beyond the first year of the deal. The Eagles were switching to a 3-4 defense and didn't have a real nose tackle on the roster at the time. Sopoaga did exactly what the Eagles wanted him to do in his time at Philadelphia: be a role player. His veteran presence was valued by the team, but now it's time to turn the page. This trade likely means more playing time for rookie DL Bennie Logan and Clifton Geathers.
It looks like a minor, but good, deal for the Eagles. The 32 year old veteran was never in the Eagles' long term plans. Moving up a few spots in the draft at the expense of losing a player they didn't really need anyway is a win, even if a small one.
The Eagles now have their own pick in Rounds 1-5 and 7 as well as the Patriots 5th in the 2014 NFL Draft. The rest of Sopoaga's contract is picked up by New England, including a $1 million guarantee due in 2014.
More from Bleeding Green Nation:
- Chip Kelly and the Ghost of Terrelle Pryor
- Former Eagles WR Freddie Mitchell sentenced to 37 months in prison
- Nick Foles returns to practice
- BGN Radio: Eagles vs. Giants Reaction
- Eagles Trade Rumors: DE Vinny Curry available for trade
- NFL Trade Deadline Rumors 2013: Will the Eagles make a move?
- NFL Power Rankings 2013, Week 9: Eagles Fall Down
- The Linc - Chip Kelly's Offense Hasn't Been "Figured Out"