Poyer was drafted by the Eagles in the seventh round of the 2013 draft. He was an intriguing player during his career at Oregon State University. Despite making the Eagles final roster, Poyer didn't have the strongest training camp or preseason.
Poyer was cut on Saturday in order to make room for RB Matthew Tucker on the active roster. Tucker was promoted from the practice squad to provide running back depth in place of the injured Chris Polk. The Eagles intended to place Poyer on the practice squad after he had cleared waivers on Monday. Their assumption that he wouldn't be picked up was clearly wrong.
Poyer was active for three games in 2013. He only played 17 snaps on defense but also contributed on special teams.
More from Bleeding Green Nation:
- Eagles to bring back GJ Kinne
- Eagles sign Emmanuel Acho, release CB Shaun Prater
- Nick Foles Injury: Eagles QB suffers concussion
- Philadelphia Eagles Week 7 PFF Grades: Eagles Quarterbacks Struggle
- Massacre Monday: Several teams losing top stars to major injuries
- Michael Vick likely to start in Week 8 against the Giants, per report