The Eagles have updated their final injury report. After originally being listed at "questionable" on Friday, backup running back Chris Polk was downgraded to "out" for Sunday's game against the Dallas Cowboys. Polk is suffering from a shoulder injury that occurred in the Buccaneers game.
Polk's absence left only two healthy running backs on the active roster: LeSean McCoy and Bryce Brown. Polk didn't receive many snaps on offense, but he would be necessary if another RB was injured since Eagles coach Chip Kelly likes to run the ball. Polk also contributed heavily on special teams.
In his place steps up practice squad running back Matthew Tucker. Tucker, an undrafted rookie free agent out of TCU, impressed the Eagles enough in training camp and preseason to earn a job on the team's practice squad. Tucker will fill Polk's role for now by mostly contributing on special teams.
To make room for Tucker, the team cut CB Jordan Poyer. Poyer was a 7th round draft pick for the Eagles in 2013. The rookie CB struggled in training camp and preseason but came on late and made the final roster. He struggled again when he was forced into action against Washington. Shortly after, Poyer seemed to fall behind Shaun Prater and Roc Carmichael on the depth chart.
Poyer was only active for 3 games this season, so he is still practice squad eligible.
[Note by Brandon Lee Gowton, 10/19/13 1:28 PM EDT ] - Reuben Frank reports the Eagles will look to add Poyer to the practice squad if/when he clears waivers.
Look for the Eagles to re-sign Jordan Poyer to the practice squad assuming he clears waivers.— Reuben Frank (@RoobCSN) October 19, 2013
More from Bleeding Green Nation:
- NFL Week 7 Fantasy Football Guide
- Eagles vs. Cowboys 2013: Game time, TV schedule, trivia, online streaming and more
- Right Side of the Eagles Offensive Line on the Rise
- Eagles vs. Cowboys 2013 Preview: Beat Dallas
- Nick Foles named FedEx Air Player of the Week
- What's up with the Dallas Cowboys twitter account?
- Simulating the Game: Eagles vs. Cowboys
- Eagles-Cowboys Final Injury Report: Jason Peters probable, Pat Chung doubtful