We'll get absolutely pounded next week...
The main concern here is Vick and how he's played post MM2.
First, he was NEVER a great QB, even in Atlanta he was a run first guy and self-admitted slacked on studying to perfect his dog fighting craft.This is why many of us (including me) were STUNNED that he was even handed the starting job. Though obviously, in hind sight, he's a much better QB than Kolb who has also regressed as a player.
Last year, a lot of his picks early on were very "flukey;" they weren't all his fault. Towards the end of the year, they were ALL of his fault. Which is why it's SO concerning moving forward.
1. The one pick Vick threw across his body, and across the other side of the field. My Grandmother even knew that was bad fundamentals.
2. One pick he literally had 4-5 seconds of good protection. No one was pressuring him, yet, he threw over the middle DIRECTLY into triple coverage. Yes it was tipped, but it was a poor throw and poor decision.
3. The game sealing pick was dropped, but it was another really poor thrown ball into double coverage.
4. Vick still holds onto the ball WAY too long. Which usually ends up him taking a hit and sometimes just lofting the ball into the air Brett Favre style.
5. As we have all pointed out the play calling was crap, which isn't Vick's problem.
Guys, the OL had a pretty good game. They opened up holes for Shady, and on most plays gave Vick ample time, picked up many of the blitzes. It's of no fault of their own if Vick decides to hold onto the ball forever. A lot of Vick's bad throws were when he ha plenty of time. King Dunlap struggled early, and LT is going to probably be bad all year.
The play calling was also awful. That is of no one's fault but Marty and Reid's. Predictable play calling makes things really easy for defenders. Comical.
The defense played SUPER well (as they should against CLE). However, I'm really really concerned about Vick, the play calling, and the penalties. I WANT to be confident about going into next weekend, but we should've lost to one of the worst teams in the league, and we're about to play a team that has a lot of talent on both sides of the ball....