Does anyone remember the last timee we played PIT in preseason? It was a premonition to the season; couldn't stop the run, broken down coverage, turnovers, horrendous and I mean HORRENDOUS linebacker play. Granted, you can't put stock into the preseason, but that game literally showed us what was about to come for 16 games.
I know there's a lot of excitement but here's my personal list of things I want to see because I think they are legit questions.
1. LT - We had the best lineman in the league last year and now we don't this year. How is that going to make our line look, especially on the left side? Can Bell at least be serviceable?
2. SS - I love Kurt Comelan as a backup because he's smart and he's a hustler. He's just not physically gifted enough to be a star there. Man I hope OJ Atogwe can brush some rust off because I don't have a lot of faith in Jarrett either.
3. LB Corp - We tinker with our LB corp EVERY YEAR and every year we expect to be a little better than last but the fact remains we haven't had a good one since Barber, Trotter and Emmons.
4. Nickel CB - I think Hanson is done as an effective slot player. Maybe serviceable in dime packages? I know most thing we are DEEP at CB...But IMO, I think we're really strong at CB, but I don't know about "deep." If NA or DRC went down who else do we have on the outside? Hanson is terrible on the outside. Marsh? Everyone is unproven. Hoping someone steps up here.
5. Watkins, Kelce, Maclin, Nate Allen..Cox -...>The 1st 3 guys are supposed to take it to another level this year. I think this is the year Maclin goes from a really good #2 to a bonafide game changer he was supposed to be. Hopefully Kelce and Watkins continue to show us even more this year...Same with nate, I think this is the year he show us that when healthy he is a pro bowl talent safety. He won't be as vicious as Dawk was, but hopefully very good in coverage and that's important in todays league. And obviously I hope Cox quickly becomes that star player that we never seem to draft on defense...