With the news of Cliff Harris being cut and Akeem Jordan getting the WILL job, I figure there will be a ton of 53 man roster predictions to come. So as to not take away from other discussions such as "If Nick Foles is immune to kryptonite?" or "Is Philip Hunt named after his ancestors who literally destroyed everything in their path for fun?"
To start it of (if anyone actually plays along) here is mine:
QB (3): Michael Vick, Nick Foles, Mike Kafka
- I think the first two are no-brainers, but after thinking about it, Kafka means more to the success of the team than Trent Edwards. I know, I know, he's a veteran and has actual game experience, but that experience wasn't all that impressive. Kafka knows the system, he's cheap but would cost more if we cut him. Trading him would be great, but if you were another team, would you trade for him? Even for a 7th? Exactly.
- Again, first two are no-brainers. Bryce Brown, while his blocking leaves something to be desired, has proven to be a powerful runner with decent speed. I think he makes it over Chris Polk (as much as I like him). Havili and the Eagles have shown me over the past two games that he/they want him get this job.
- I don't know how you can justify a spot for Brett Brackett, despite his performance against the Browns.
- First four were always locks in my mind. Coop is just too good on specials to cut. Johnson makes it on return ability and the threat of big plays. I'd like to see a four-wide formation with Avant on the weakside and Johnson, Jackson, and Maclin on the strong side. Scary.
- King was named starter today over Bell. I think it's the right move, and I honestly, I wouldn't be upset if we cut Bell. Kelly is apparently revered by the FO.
- Vallos looked decent at center against the Browns and Vandervelde seems to be versatile enough to warrant a spot.
- I think Curry will be inactive most of the year and I think Tapp's ability to play inside could keep him on the roster. I think Hunt is the starter in Week 1 if Babin isn't good to go. I'm expecting be things from Graham.
- Again, Tapp's versatility allows him to get playing time, but it also allows us to go light on DT. With Patterson possibly out for the year, this also gives us the flexibility down the road to add someone. I think Antonio Dixon is likely to be traded to the Chargers or Panthers for another player of need (FB or Safety?)
- I think this might be the first "surprise" of the breakdown. I take Rolle's demotion as more than just that. I remember what happened to Macho Harris and I think this case could be similar. I think Clayton is a better cover guy and better on special teams. Rolle has a place in this league, but I don't think he fits our needs as far as LB depth.
- I think you have to go six deep because you need a back up slot guy and two viable options on the outside. Boykin has been good but give him a bit more time before he robs Jose of a job. Hughes and Marsh can play outside and have become valuable on ST.
- I like the outside of Thomas and think Atogwe at worst is a valuable veteran presence. JaiJar is nothing more than blog fodder at this point in my opinion.
- I think Chad Henry has talent but not more than McBriar.