So yeah, some of you longtime posters may have realized I've been on my annual post-NFL Draft, pre-Training Camp hiatus. I just think the speculation between this period is frantically irritating and as a passionate fan, I'd rather not argue with my fellow fans over speculation (I have no issue with those who enjoy, it's just not for me).
But with that said, I am thrilled to be back and just because I haven't been posting, I was still here everyday among you. I have my opinions and I figured I'd share it with the five or six posters that will read this. Happy Opening Of Training Camp Day by the way.
Figured I'd break my thoughts into bullet points for easier reading:
- Dion Lewis: His felony charge is ridiculous, but his actions were stupid. I don't know many people that would want him handling the ball on a full-time basis is Shady went down. I'm not one of them. That's why I'm not sure how you can make such a dumb decision when you're clearly battling for snaps and playing time. I think we need help at the running back position. I love the potential of Bryce Brown, but I'm not sold on the fact that a guy can go from playing one and a half years of college ball and then be ready to the carry the load in Week 7 of his rookie season (hypothetical). Shady is an artist on the field, so I think in case he goes down, we at least need a high-quality finger-painter like Ryan Grant (who I personally dislike but think he can play) or at least check out a guy like Cedric Benson. I'm more frightened about our back up RB situation than our backup QB position. Dion is very small and is perfect in a change of pace role but carrying the load in an emergency is not where I want him to be.
- The Tight End Battle: According to every UM fan I talk to Chase Ford would be better at filling Gatorade jugs than catching passes at Lincoln Financial Field on Sundays. With him eliminated from my brain depth chart competition, it's probably Habor vs. Brackett. I like Brackett if we keep three guys and eliminate the FB position (which I'm extremely in favor of, I think Harbor is an H-back). Brackett can catch, he's got a bit of speed but he has to improve his blocking to make this team. I'm not sure why people hate on Harbor, I think he's greatly improved as a blocker and Vick has proved he trusts him enough to throw to him in the endzone. I think he makes this team.
- Maclin vs. Desean: I don't think there's a question that Jeremy is the better all-around WR. As much as I love J-Mac, I do think he needs to whoop his 2010 season's ass (10 TDs 900 yards) in order get an extension this summer. Desean has showed he is a danger anywhere on the field and while not the ideal size or all that durable, he takes at least one safety out of the play, making Jason Avant and Brent Celek's job much easier. With that said, Jeremy needs to take advantage of that too. I know he had the injury and the scare last year, but this season needs to be his year. I'm honestly sick of hearing about Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz.
- Elliot's Work on Here So Far: Great job man. Enjoyed the radio show and for the most part, the articles.
- Andy's Status: I am one of the Andy lovers. I respect all he has done here and appreciate it because I went through Ray Rhodes and I also have friends who are Dolphins, Browns, Lions, Bengals, and Cardinal fans. They are thrilled if they make the playoffs. Since 2002, I haven't been consolable unless we win two playoff games. Yes, the playoff wins have dwindled, but he is still loved by the players and we're constantly viewed as contenders. Lurie will not fire him unless he goes 3-13. I see no way he gets fire mid-season ever. I think in 3 years, he retires to become the team's Vice President. We need to realize that we could have a guy like Lovie Smith or Marvin Lewis as a coach for a long time. Lovie hasn't won a playoff game since his Super Bowl and Marvin Lewis has never won one and has 3 winning seasons in 10 years.
- Training Camp Battles: My biggest ones are WILL linebacker and Strong Safety. My predictions are Jamar Chaney and Kurt Coleman (Earth-shattering I know). I am also interested to see where we go at KR and 5th WR.
- Kafka: I have faith in him based on Atlanta. I have a bit of worry because of his performance against NYG.