We saw the New England Patriots destroy teams last year with Gronk and Hernandez. When running the two tight end set Gronkowski averaged 14.7 YPC and Hernandez averaged 11.5 YPC. Brent Celek averaged 13.1 YPC and Clay Harbor averaged 12.5 YPC. But Harbor only had 13 catches the whole season that stat wouldn't count unless you think it does. I think the Eagles have their two tight ends already to run this kind of formation. Harbor has the receiving skills and a pretty good blocker for his size. Also the Eagles have Brent Celek who is not that knowledge because of so many weapons we have on offense.
If the Eagles think that it's time to draft another tight end i would consider putting Clay Harbor in the Full Back position which is the other position he played besides tight end in college.Then when we draft someone they have to look at someone like Michael Egnew, Dwayne Allen or if the Eagles want to move back in the draft and draft Coby Fleener. Which i think is really unlikely that they try to get Coby Fleener.
Michael Egnew: 6'5", 252lbs
- Pros: Ability to separate from linebackers and safeties,Got hands, Large catch radius, and a threat after the catch.
- Cons: Has trouble blocking defensive lineman, hard to get a good release off the line when attached to a tackle, can be man handled by bigger linebacker.
Dwayne Allen: 6'3", 255lbs
- Pros: Avoid jams at line of scrimmage, quick to locate the ball, uses body to shield off defenders, separate from linebackers and safeties, move the chains.
- Cons: Poor run blocking, Awkward stance when trying to block.
Coby Fleener: 6'6", 247lbs
- Pros: Good route runner, separate at top of routes, will go up for the ball, good feel for defenders around him, red zone threat, find ball in air.
- Cons: Bad blocker, gets jammed at line, and trouble getting back in his route.
If the Eagles would draft i think the best out of the three tight ends that i named is Dwayne Allen. Because he has the strength and body control to get him away from defenders in the line of scrimmage. Also he is a smoth runner for a man his size and he can fight through defenders.
Comment on whether would you like to do more two tight end sets or not and if you do would you like it to be Harbor and Celek or Celek and someone from the tight end draft class.