So I dont have work today...YAY!
So what i decided to do was to re-watch the game, and as im watching the game jot down things i see, or think are interesting.
If people like these, ill start doing them after each game, since i usually dont work on Mondays.
- Dion Lewis takes the kickoff(7 yards deep) and brings it to the 12. Why?
- (14:15) Mike has Shady in the flat for a 1st, throws it deep to desean. Incomplete. A low mcnabbesque ball.
- 3rd & 1. Marty runs a direct snap to Shady, he picks up the first. I thought we got Ronnie for these situations?
- (13:14, LOL moment): Brian Billick talking about how awesome westbrook was, then calls him "Michael Westbrook"...
- (13:00) Stretch play right, Lesean has no-where to go goes back the other way, probably has a 1st but Q with a great tackle. Seen that before.
- (12:41) Delay of game #1... I then hear "rookie center" twice from Brian Billick. Couldve been Mikes fault.
- (12:00) Eagles line up in tight formation, and the Rams blitz their CB's(usually the best time for a CB blitz). It works, Mike gets sacked, Avant missed his assignment. I think they do this same exact play later on too.
- Punt. Not a great one.
- (11:22) This is the big Stephen Jackson run. Rams line up in 2 TE's + 2 WR's + 1 RB. Counter play left, EVERY Eagle defender falls for the run right, they over-pursue and Jackson has the easiest 40-yard run of his season(except for him getting hurt).
- That was fast.
- Dion does not bring out this kick that 7 yards deep. But he will later...
- (11:13) Almost another delay of game, we get the TO instead. I hear "rookie center" twice again before the announcers even know whos to blame. Thank FOX for giving us their "C" team...
- (11:00) Vick throws that bomb to Desan that kinda under thrown. Its cover-3 from the Rams, which is a pretty good call for the situation. This is where talent usually comes into play, coaches make the perfect call, and if the players on the field are talented enough their in the perfect position to make a play on the ball. If Bartell and Dahl(Rams players involved) play the ball like talented players dom this could be a pick. But they dont, there are no "almost picks"...
- (Random) Desean looks darker than last year. He looks like hes been laying in the sun the entire off-season....Moving on....
- (9:30, 3rd and 11) Play action pass rolling to Mikes strong side. Avant runs a deep out, Mike throwing kinda across his body makes a PERFECT throw. Q tackles him, and they have a laugh. Im guessing that happened during practice a few times last year.
- (LOL) Rams have a player named AH YOU, and we have a player named FOKOU. Somehow that could be turned into a dirty joke.
- (8:18, 3rd and goal) PERFECT play call. Quick screen right down the middle to shady. Kyle Devan on this play blocks his guy to the ground, then sits on him to keep him from getting shady. Love it.
- (7:50) The play-by-play guy calls the Rams tackles(including Jason Smith) outstanding. Im sure Rams fans disagree, as do i, the guys a bust.
- Rams running 3/4 times. Easily getting 5 yards/carry.
- Bradford "throws" the ball to amendola 2 yards "down-field"
- (3rd and 8) Bradford passes to the greatest TE of all-time/HOFer Lance Kendricks. Asante's playing safety on this play, reads it, and blows up kendricks and he drops the pass. Asante with the big hit! Flag on Babin for hands to the face, its the right call, but damn that hurts on 3rd down.
- (5:20) Cadillac with a 15 yard run. No one touches him till the tackle.
- (4:15) Rams run a stretch play left, Bradford trips over his C's leg because Dixon pushed him into the backfield, Tapp knocks the ball free and SMARTLY doesnt let go of Bradford to keep him from getting the ball. Juqua picks up the ball, stiff arms Fokou and jogs in for the TD.
Kickoff. Eagles Defense:
- (3:18, 1st and 10) Bradford throws a pass 15 yards to his TE(under-thrown), Cullen Jenkins lays him OUT. Hard. Jenkins has a mean streak to him, i like it.
- Rams go play action, then try and set up a screen to the opposite side. Asante reads it and makes a play on the ball(incomplete), plus Babin lays out Bradford. He also has a mean streak.
Eagles Offense, 2nd Quarter starts:
- Eagles get 1 first down on a Dion Lewis run, then go 3 and out. Nothing much to say.
- On the punt, the ball hits Colt anderson(ST wizard), amendola thinks it his own leg, dives on the ball, almost a TO because of Colt...
- 1st time tonight i see the Rams in shotgun with no RB's in pass protection(chipping...), and guess what. Babin comes clean off the edge and LAYS OUT Bradford. These always look worse in slow-mo. Ouchy...
- (2nd and 18, 13:30) Rams give it to the FB, he picks up 14. Come on run d....
- (3rd and 4) Bradford throws incomplete to Asantes guy. Refs whistle Asante for illegal contact. Bullshit call. I watched the replay, and it looks like illegal contact, but Asante whiffs and doesnt even touch the guy. Dont anticipate a foul REF!
- Brian Billick talking about how switching from Sam LB, to Weak LB is tough because "it changes your whole world" which i doubt. He then says it'll effect our LB's more then it would others because their young, but if their younger then wouldnt they have had to learn less, making the switch easier?
- (2nd and 11) Chaney gives his guy(Cadillac) too much space and Bradford gives him the ball in the flats, picks up the first. The next play, Rams try the EXACT same thing, Chaney doesnt make the same mistake twice. Incomplete. I like Chaney.
- (2nd and 10, 11:43) Rams try and run a screen, Casey INSTANTLY reads it and blows the play up. Hes got the smarts, just needs to bulk up and get off blocks better. Tapp also read it, but not right away.
- (3rd and 10) DNA is in. Straight up man-to-man, amendola beats DRC down the middle on a crossing route. Bradford had time(ish), found his guy.
- (2nd and 10, 10:20) Bradford has all day, finds a WIDE OPEN lance kendricks and he drops it. Couldve been a TD. Looked like Eagles were playing zone, and it looked like Caseys area. Mike Brennahan then says "We'll all we heard about was Lance Kendricks this week"....if you only knew Mike, if you only knew.
- (3rd and 10). Eagles bring the blitz, bradford finds gibson, but the throws behind him. Gibson shouldve still caught it i guess, but Bradfords gotta put that ball on the money, he was wide open.
- Rams make the FG. 14-10 Eagles.
- Dion Lewis brings out from 5 yards deep again. Gets it to the 13. Whats going on here? Take a god damn knee Dion.
- (1st and 10, 10:00) This has become a tradition ever since Mike took over as the QB. We have at least one play action pass where Desean just runs as fast as he can down the field, and Mike just bombs it to his side. Mike puts this one right on the fuckin money, couldnt be a better throw, desean drops it. These are the plays that get better as the season goes by. Desean wont drop another one. What a throw. Wow.
- (3rd and 10) Maclins runs a 10-12 crossing pattern, Mike has ALL THE TIME, easy throw and catch. 1st down.
- (3rd and 6) Play clock ticking down, Mike has to call a TO.
- (3rd and 6) Rams show pressure, back off and only rush 3. Desean runs a hitch just past the first down line, finds a nice little hole in the zone and Mike slings it to him for the 1st. Mike has SUCH a perfect/tight spiral on his throws. Increases accuracy and how fast he throws it. Perfect throw, perfect route, perfect catch.
- (1st and 10) Mike drops back, sees nothing and takes off. Hes so smart, the defense during a live play really doesnt know where the LOS is, so Mike even while hes past it, is pointing and looking upfield to keep the option of a pass alive in the defenses heads. It works. First down. The guy who tackles him(Dahl) helps him up and smiles. Respect...
- (2nd and 7, 5:11) Vick drops back. Rams bring a double safety blitz. The FS gets picked up, Celek doesnt see Q coming, neither does Vick. Q hits him, he fumbles. Rams ball.
- (2nd and 7, 4:32) Bradford drops back. Trent and Juqua absolutely OWN the starting RT/LT for the rams. They push both of them so far back, they hit bradford and cause an incompletion. Domination by the d-line.
- (3rd and 7) Bradford find gibson for 6 yards. Page is their RIGHT AWAY with the tackle. Great play. Punt.
- Mike tries calling an audible "Kill-Kill, Kill-Kill". Play clock ticking down, has to call another TO....
- (2nd and 10) Desean runs a quick slant, the CB is in perfect coverage but Mike throws a PERFECT laser right in Deseans chest. Accuracy problems???
- (2nd and 9, 2:25) Eagles run a screen to Shady. Defense reads it, but Shady breaks a tackle and gains 9. He turned a 5 yard loss, into a 9 yard gain. Wouldve been 3rd and 14, now its 3rd and 1. Big play.
- (2nd and 10, 1:24) Vick throws to Avant 20 yards down field, hes open but cant get both feet in. Babin runs across the Eagles sideline to help up Avant. God i love this team.
- (3rd and 10, 1:17) Vick in shotty. Ends up like 10 yards behind the LOS, makes two guys miss, turns on the boosters and runs for a gain of 20. What a beast.
- Its 2nd down. We have 1 maybe 2 tries to get in the end zone. Desean runs a deep out, Mike throws another unbelievable ball, RIGHT ON THE MONEY. Desean drops it, but it was a really tough catch in that situation. Eagles get a FG. 17-10 birds.
- Rams doing so much to gain so little. They go play action right, bradfords under crazy pressure and ends up gaining 3 yards throwing across his body and across the field. How bout that Eagles secondary?
- (3rd and 3) Rams run a flea flicker type thing. And gain 15 yards. Usually those plays are designed for 50+ yard bombs. The things OC's are going to have to come up with to gain yards threw the air on this d is going to be fun.
- (3rd and 8, 12:22). Trent Cole does an inside-outside move on rams LT, he beats em easily. Then trips over his leg, as hes falling forward he tries to grab Bradford for the sack(not intentional is my point). Refs call roughing.
- (LOL) A popup shows up with the headline "Notable Free-Agents". At the top of the list is...Jake Delhomme. Dear god. Thankfully Brian Billick says "some of these guy outta stay retired" ahahaha
- Rams run it on 3rd and 10 just to get into FG range, crowd boos. They end up missing the FG.
- (2nd and 17, 7:10) After a holding call, Mike drops back, sees nothing and runs for the 1st. Doing that pointing and looking up-field thing i was talking about earlier.
- Steve Smith comes in the game. Its bunch formation right. He runs a streak, and desean follows him then breaks off into a crossing route. Defender stay with SS, desean is wide open for a 20 yard gain. Good play.
- (2nd and goal, 5:48) Eagles run play action to Vick's left. Shadys covered in the flats, but (out of the screen) desean is open in the back of the endzone. Mike has to put the ball right on the money, he does off his back foot, with a guy right in his face, touchdown. I thought he was throwing the ball away in realtime.
- (LOL) After the TD Mike does a hilarious little celebration thats looks like hes rockin out on a little mini air guitar. The head official even starts laughing.
- (1st and 10, 5:10) Rams run it for a gain of 3. After the play though, the guy blocking Cullen Jenkins doesnt stop blocking him, Jenkins doesnt like that. He gets up, and puts the LG on his ass. I like hiiiiiim....*borat voice*
- Next play. Trent beats his guy with a swim move, sacks bradford. Easy. Jenkins also easily beats his guy while getting held. Penalty declined.
- (3rd and 15, 3:42) Rams being the rams run a draw play out of the shotgun. It gains 14 yards. I know were not expecting the run but come on guys... They go for it on 4th and 1 and pick it up.
- (1st and 10, 2:27) Rams run a fake double reverse, Bardford throws it DEEP in the end-zone for gibson. Nnamdi's in perfect coverage, but doesnt think he is, so he grabs gibsons collar at the last second. PI.
- (Goal-line stand) Run right on 1st, stood up by Juqua. False start on the rams, cant have that when the balls on the 1 inch line. 2nd down they run play action, Page reads bradford and NEARLY makes a great pick. Good play. 3rd down Bradford overthrows an open amendola by a mile. Bring out the kicker.
- (1st and 10, 1:09) Rams bring the blitz, a DB has a free run at Vick. He somehow sees him, does like a 360 move, while keeping his balance, then BOOM in a blink hes 15yards downfield. Wow. I was watching this game with one of my buddies(Chargers fan) and he yells "Fuck you bro! Is this a fucking video game?"
- (3rd and 8) Rams bring a blitz off the back side, Mike sees it, runs away but gets caught. Those backside blitz's are becoming a very common sight against the Mike Vick lead offense, and they will continue to be.
- (1st and 10) The amendola injury. He runs a quick in, and loses his balance, tries to stay up with that arm and thats where it happened. Good kid, wish him a speedy recovery.
- (4th and 2) They go for it and it looks like we have everything covered but he finds his RB in the flats(again) and he BARELY gets it. These little sissy throws piss me off, maybe its just me.
- (2nd and 5, 11:33) Babin bull rushes the shit out of the LT and sacks Bradford. He is an absolutely perfect fit for Washburns wide 9.
- Eagles run stretch play left. Rams have no one there, Shady runs for 13. Easy.
- Power play left, shady cuts back right and picks up 15. Easy.
- Stretch play left, Ronnie Brown picks up 9.
- (2nd and 1) Eagles line up in shotgun with mccoy in the backfield. Simple draw play, Shady breaks through the middle of the line and takes of for a 40+ yard TD run. Easy...
- (1st and 10, 8:25) Bardford in shotty, sends a deep ball toward Asantes/DRCs side. The ball hits his guys helmet, bounces straight up in the air, Asante goes to get it and drops it. He wont see an easier INT this season. He laughs it off in Asante fashion. This is also the play where bradford hurt his thumb.
- Bradford sends a deep ball the other side, to Nnamdis guy(gibson). He beats Nnamdi, and dives for the ball. The refs rule it a catch, Andy challenges, and it stands. I didnt think it was a catch then, i still dont.
- At this point AJ Feeley comes in the game, and thats my cue to stop. Theres about 6 minutes left.
A couple quick thoughts:
- Eagles ran A LOT more stretch plays/draw than ive ever seen them run. It made me think. We got Howard Mudd from Indy, a team that used to ALWAYS run the stretch/draw. It didnt work out for them as well as i think it will for us. We have Shady. Stretch plays are most effective when you have a good cutback runner, and Shadys probably the best cutback runner in the league.
- Shady turns nothing plays(negatives), into something plays(positive). At least 5 times in this game he turned a loss into a gain. Thats a big deal. Hes also become very good at picking up the blitz and holding his block.
- I like Jarrad Page. So far at least. Doesnt make mistakes, almost had a big pick, makes great tackles.
- The o-line played VERY well. They'll only get better as the season goes on.
- Playing in a dome probably had something to do with those delay of games, and those almost delay of games. Still gotta get better though.
- After that bradford fumble and return for a TD Brian Billick says "Boy this is really unfortunate".... Tell us how you really feel Brian. lol
- Eagles now have(IMO) two of the best starting Tackles in the league. Its early i know, but Herremans is a beast at RT.
Sorry if this was a bit lengthy i just loved these when Jimmy used to do them in TC, plus i had nothing else to do. Go Eagles!!!