Given the strong possibility of a lockout as result of a labor dispute, in which one of the key points of contention is expanding the season to 18 games, it would seem wise to conduct a poll to determine how much value the end-consumer, the fan, places on extending the season.
The poll provides 3 choices: I would prefer an 18 season; I would prefer a 16 game season; or I don’t care how many games there are as long as there’s football.
Things to consider about an 18 Game Season (Continued after the jump)
- The chance for two more meaningful football games per season.
- Two fewer pre-season games.
- Creates more opportunities for borderline players, as rosters would be likely to expand.
- The chance of more meaningless games per season, such as a 14-0 team starting their second team for four games.
- Devaluation of NFL records; pretty much every single season record will be re-written.
- Greater chance for player injury.
On to the Poll
I would prefer:
an 18 game season (15 votes)
a 16 game season (122 votes)
I don’t care how many games there are as long as there’s football next season (36 votes)
173 total votes