1. A PROVEN defensive coordinator. I like Juan as a person, but he's just not a NFL DC... Sorry, wins against Mark Sanchez (who by the way COULDN"T EVEN PASS ON THE GIANTS WHO HAVE THE WORST SECONDARY IN THE NFL!!!), Matt Moore, and Stephen McGee DO NOT put any faith that we have turned some sort of corner and will be a top defense next year. Sorry, but don't even come in here arguing how "hot" these guys were coming into any game. Spagnuolo anyone?
2. A PROVEN LB!!!! Sorry, no hybrid tweeners. No athletic guys with a football IQ of zero either (Ernie Simms). I don't care about their 40 time either, they need to be able to cover though (Chaney). One that could tackle consistently and run plug up the A gaps (Trotter) would be nice too.
3. We need to start getting "a little younger" in a certain areas... Jason Peters, Todd Herremanes, Trent Cole, Cullen Jenkins, Asomugha, Samuel, Babin, Vick, etc are all going to be on the wrong side of 30 next year. We need to get some players through the draft that can replace their production...Again, please stop it with these fast tweeners who never pan out.
4. Convince Howard Mudd to stay un-retired. Our O-line went from crappy to fantastic in a matter of a few games under Mudd. It's going to be huge for keeping Vick healthy.
5. Continue to develop Watkins and Brandon Graham. These guys need to play and play at a high level, especially Graham.. You just can't simply miss on a 13th overall pick, and your 27 year old rookie better be damn near pro bowl level at 28.
6. Keep Jim Washburn. The wide 9 works, it gets pressure on the QB without having to blitz all day. Sorry to the PFF and PFO readers, but Tennesse had a fantastic defense for years with Chan Gailey and Washburn.
And yes, SOMETHING needs to happen with drafting. I don't believe Andy has total control, I think Banner and Roseman have some power there as well. Either way, WE HAVE to start getting some talent in the draft. These 2nd and 3rd round busts are KILLING this team. There's not a single good player on the defense that we drafted aside from Trent Cole and that was years ago.
Don't be fooled by this 3 game win streak, and likely 4 game. We still haven't proved anything to anyone but when we don't turn the ball over 7 times a game we can beat the mediocre teams. There still needs to be change, and I want proven guys whether it's proven players or proven coaches. No experiments, no question marks to start the season.