I'm going to go into my observations and my opinions on the game.
That fucking blew.
- We were actually moving the ball with ease against a good defense- We were getting good movement and sustaining drives till something stupid like a fumble or interception. The offensive line only gave up 1 sack. McCoy proved he's still our best player.
- Danny Watkins- The kid was ready, he showed up, he had a few mistakes but honestly he manned his position and did it well, I'm excited to see his growth. He was 20x better than DeVan which should make everybody happy.
- Dion Lewis- Ronnie lost his job :) !!!!!
- Desean Jackson- The coaches are finding ways to get him the ball, he took a screen 31 yards for a TD and displayed his speed on that one. The couches and Vick did a great job incorporating him into the gameplan more while not forcing him the ball.
- Interior OLmen- I'd have to say Kelce, Mathis and Watkins played a good game, say what you will but they did what they needed to in order to control Dareus. A lot of the pressure on Vick were screens and stupid Andy/Marty no look passes.
- Have we found a real FS?- Yes, I'm talking about Nate Allen. 13 tackles, he was actually there in coverage when we needed him, he made a few good stops. While his game wasn't amazing I'd say he had a good one and he looked like his speeds almost all the way back. Definitely gong man-to-man a lot of the game helped take pressure off of him.
- Playing our CB's to their strengths WTF?!?- We were in man coverage a lot of the time, the only time I saw zone was when we had Nnamdi lined up in the zone and we did well when that happened. I'm alright if we can improve upon that performance.
- Some life from the Linebackers?- While not a good performance, they showed some life. Chaney looked bad up until his INT, I honestly thought he was going to be benched until that play. Rolle's our best LB.... They were actually filling gaps especially in that 3rd Quarter and early into the 4th until Castillo totally abandoned what was working.
- We may have found a formula for stopping people- Hear me out... Our Secondary was actually doing well, we gave up some dumb slants and dumb screens but they were actually covering people and only allowed a long run of 22 yards.. That 3rd quarter was a good one for our defense, we were matching up man with our CB's, we had Nate back there helping out (and having a good game) and were stacking the box and walking LB's up into the gaps, if you'd notice a lot of the time they'd walk up confuse the OLmen then drop back right as the ball was snapped and we used a safety to come down and help in run support as their primary job. We need to continue with this, it fucking worked.
- Only 1 passing TD- I repeat 1 passing TD. This was a good thing for a high powered Bills offense.
- Turnovers- 4 picks, 2 of which I'd say are on Vick, 1 on Avant and 1 which was just a great play by the Bills defense. Also Avant's Fumble when we were driving killed us. We have to take care of the ball, we take away 1 of those turnovers and we are in so much better shape. Can't turn the ball over 5 times and expect us to win. (Although it's promising we can turn it over 5 times and only lose by 7)
- Lack of Harbor- Harbor had a great game last week, why wasn't he put in there more, he's a TE who can spread the field with his speed and cause some issues for LB's, this would definitely give Vick another good option. Right now Celek's dropping to many balls so we need somebody in there at TE who's not going to make a fool of himself.
- Why have we gotten away from the screens?- Vs Falcons Maclin had a big run after catching a screen pass, McCoy has had so many big gains from screen passes, Desean's got like 2 TD's from screen passes... We run Screen plays with great effect yet we only threw like 3 of them against the Bills... Why do we just ignore our strengths?
- McCoy with 15 touches?- I'm sorry but our best player only gets 15 touches? 107 yards and a TD on 15 touches? Why aren't we just letting McCoy go wild?
- A safety with 13 tackles, another safety with 11- Having our safety's combine for 24 tackles isn't good.
- Patterson starting/playing over Laws- d-jackfan10 and I agree, Laws should be starting next to Jenkins, the dude has been clogging up run lanes when he's in there and that's what we need, he's so active he's just doing it without trying and that's a great thing. We have to make this move and put Laws in over Patterson because Patterson's been looking like shit.
- Where was Fokou?- Fokou had 3 tackle (listed as Assists) which isn't good for a SAM LB.
- The Linebackers- Chaney showed up after the INT but still looked shaky, however what that showed me is that there's some life in him, 1 little ember of chance that may explode sometime soon, if he plays like he did in the 3rd we're going to be ok. Rolle's looking like our best LB, we've found a WILL.... Fokou however seems to be lost still, I don't understand what's going on with him but it's time we start giving guys chances here of Jordan, Matthews and Clayton (and Fokou after a scare) we have to find a guy who can play.
- Page is awful- Page is the last guy I want on the field, on a play where Fred Jackson got us good he was in clear position to make a tackle but just stopped running, it would've been at best a 2 yard gain but he just stood there... Then there's the fact he's awful in coverage, doesn't wrap up when he tackles and has 0 pop upon contact. Jarrett time!
As bad as it sucks that we lost a lot of good seemed to come out of this game. We proved that our D can actually make a stand at some point, we proved that there's a slight chance something can be made of these LB's and we proved our secondary can be a good one.... Now we just need to bring it all together and play like we did in the 3rd (early 4th) the whole game.
Also before it starts, the D's issues aren't cause by the wide 9, it's complete execution and discipline. To many missed tackles by LB's, to many missed tackles by Page, to many containment mistakes and to many stupid penalties... The wide 9 doesn't make people miss tackles, doesn't make players flow to the wrong gap, doesn't make players not wrap up a ball carrier, and it certainly render DB's unable to cover a WR.