So, I don't know if it happens in all fanbases, though I'd imagine it does. But here goes one more ridiculous trade thought from an Eagles fan. After the jump, of course... ;-P
I propose that we trade Kevin Kolb and our 1st (Number 25 overall) and a fourth, if needed, to Carolina to draft Andrew Luck
I propose that we trade Kevin Kolb and our 1st (#25 overall) and a fourth, if needed, to Carolina to draft Andrew Luck. These are the reasons I think this is a good idea:
- I'm sorry, people...but Kevin Kolb will never be the QB that many of you think he is and some of you already anointed him. I was worried about it in training camp and I think we have all seen that we can be no better than a .500 team with him at QB.
- We have Mike Vick and have an opportunity to lock him up for a few years without letting him get to the market. But, let's be honest...he is a nearing-31 year old QB who's game is built on speed and just had his first season as a successful passer. And he gets "dinged up" a LOT. Two years is probably his max effective shelf life from here.
- Mike Kafka has shown some flashes (I actually think he could be more effective than Kolb but that's another thread) and would probably be just as effective a backup in a bind that Kolb is. He knows the offense already and if Vick does get hurt for any long period of time, the season is probably done anyway.
- Our offensive line needs a makeover BAD. We have some pieces...Peters has looked GREAT, and I'm fine with Justice and McGlynn or Jackson if he makes it back. But I think Herremans and whoever we play at RG from game to game (MJG) to be relegated to the bench or someone else's team. With two years and a mobile QB, we give the FO a few offseasons to make it happen.
- With this team, we should be around 10 wins year in and year out. That would net us a pick in the 20's every year, meaning without trades, which Howie is not against, we probably won't get an opportunity at a gamechanger. We would be hoping to strike gold....but I'm tired of that, I want a player with a great grade that can step in and play effective NOW. Nate Allen played great this year...but could you imagine if we had gotten Eric Berry? That is the difference I am talking about.
- Andrew Luck. People are calling this kid "the next Peyton Manning" and "the best grade out of college since John Elway." I admit that I haven't seen enough of him to have an opinion like that, but it seems his is the best can't miss prospect at QB in a long time. Carolina needs A LOT and unless they hire Harbaugh as their next head coach, they would probably love to get multiple picks instead of one big one. Them getting Kolb would mean they could trade Claussen and/or Matt Moore for more picks.