Simple post on who I would like to see get the job leading our defense. For those who don't know anything about football and like to suggest people who are totally unrealistic, this post isn't for you.
1. Mike Trovac- Not the obvious choice, but my favorite. All he did in Carolina was turn that D-line into the leagues best as DL coach from 2001-2003, then in his first year as DC they went to the Superbowl and nearly beat the Pats. Has a lot of experience working under great coaches- Bo Schembechler, Earle Bruce, Lou Holtz, Ray Rhoads etc. Were not asking him to totally rebuild a defense, just get control and get all of our young guys on the same page as our vets.
2. Dick Jauron- Sean McDermott was reportedly let go partly because players wanted him out so I wouldn't hire Jauron unless the players want to play for him. His defenses weren't dominant but they got the job done and seemed to never give up the big play and they were solid in the red zone.
3. Jim Mora Jr.- Good secondary coach, and good leader. He got a lot out of the Falcons team that really didn't have much besides Vick and Warrick Dunn. He would be my number #1 if we got more soundbytes out of his dad if we hired him.
4. Rob Ryan- I know we aren;t getting a 3-4 scheme here in Philly, which is probably smart, but this hire would be worth it to keep Rob out of Dallas. Seriously, anybody else sick to their stomach with the thought of Buddy's son coaching the f-ing cowboys.
5. Billy Davis- I'm putting Davis here because I'm running out of people to put and I wanted 5 guys to talk about, and he could very well be our guy so I should address that. He has been a DC for two different teams. He was the DC in San Fran from 2005-2006 and both years they were in the bottom of the league in most defensive stats. Arizona went a little better, as he did pretty good with a young defense. This year he had to deal with the loss of Karlos Dansby and Antrell Rolle plus the lack of any offense to give his defense a chance to rest. Hard to have a good defense when you lose your top 2 players and your offense can't move the ball and keeps turning the ball over. Certainly won't be anyone's first choice but a guy who could succeed.