I decided to try out one of the free mock drafts on Yahoo's Fantasy Football website, so I could make selections from the same draft position that I have in my real league. I figured that it would be good practice and would give me an idea of who would be available each time my pick came around.
Something tells me that this wasn't exactly the best test of my drafting skills...
Here's the team I wound up with:
2. Jamaal Charles (KC - RB)
3. Miles Austin (Dal - WR)
5. Michael Crabtree (SF - WR)
6. Percy Harvin (Min - WR)
7. Kevin Kolb (Phi - QB)
8. Michael Bush (Oak - RB)
9. Dallas (Dal - DEF)
10. Kenny Britt (Ten - WR)
11. Braylon Edwards (NYJ - WR)
12. Heath Miller (Pit - TE)
13. Kevin Boss (NYG - TE)
14. San Diego (SD - DEF)
15. Clinton Portis (Was - RB)
Not bad, right? Yeah I didn't get a kicker, but who cares. Kickers are a dime a dozen and even if each team keeps two on their roster - you can still pick one up on gameday.
My first indication that this draft was a waste of my time was when I saw the first two picks go by, and both teams passed on Chris Johnson. Here's how the first round panned out:
(1) AaronR - Adrian Peterson (Min - RB)
(2) Jimmy - Drew Brees (NO - QB)
(3) goodfella46er - Chris Johnson (Ten - RB)
(4) Scott - Maurice Jones-Drew (Jac - RB)
(5) luke - Ray Rice (Bal - RB)
(6) Sliv - Andre Johnson (Hou - WR)
(7) Don P - Michael Turner (Atl - RB)
(8) David - Frank Gore (SF - RB)
(9) Rob - Tony Romo (Dal - QB)
(10) Alex - Aaron Rodgers (GB - QB)
(11) aludwig31383 - Rashard Mendenhall (Pit - RB)
(12) DOWDEN MAGIC - Randy Moss (NE - WR)
There were a couple of eyebrow-raisers in Round 1, but nothing entirely too shocking in my opinion. But as the rounds progressed, some of the moves made were Al Davis "kicker in the first round" insane:
- The first TE was picked in Round 3. (Dallas Clark)
- Ryan Matthews (RB, SD) was the 14th pick overall, and selected ahead of Steven Jackson, DeAngelo Williams, Shonn Greene, Jamaal Charles.... to name a few.
- The first kicker (Gostkowski) was selected with the first pick in Round 9, and then that set off a frenzy which resulted in 6 more kickers being picked up within the next dozen picks.
Someone give me a reality check: Am I the one who has it all wrong? Is a good TE like Clark worth a 3rd round pick in standard scoring leagues? Is Ryan Matthews the real deal? Should kickers EVER be taken before the final round? Or is this pretty much par for the course if you use free mock drafts online?
Are there any good websites that have good (free) mock drafts that are done by rational thinking adults?
And my apologies to those who I bored the hell out of because fantasy football isn't their thing...