Peter Schrager wrote a good article on Fox Sports about the Rules of wearing a jersey. Some great stuff. There are some great points made. The points I agreed with after the Jump.
- Jerseys are always allowed at games and tailgating. I would say that jerseys are required attire for for those two activities. Even if you're getting the tickets at the last minute stop at Modells on the way there. Every Time I see someone not sporting some colors at a game I have grave concerns about his or her fan-hood and start thinking that he should have given his tickets to one of the many ravenous fans who get shut out of the game every week.
- Never wear a customised jersey with your own name on the back. Man I can't agree with this one more. My brothers wife got him a custom jersey thinking it would be the greatest gift. We just shake our heads every time he sports it.
- Don't wear jerseys of active players who no longer play for your team. People please put your Dawkins, Westbrook, and McNabb jerseys into retirement. My Dawk jersey is in the back of the closet waiting for his retirement from football before it sees the light of day again.
-Don't go around with your girl wearing a matched set of jerseys. I always thought that was a little silly looking. Any player's jersey that I own is off the table for my wife. I don;t care how much she likes the player.
One of the points I don't necessarily agree with is: wear a jersey that fits properly. i have to admit I always get my jerseys a little big. In December and January I need some room to fit the thermals, sweats, and hoodie underneath it. Which brings me to some rules that I'd like to add.
- When at a game the jersey should always be your outermost piece of clothing and never covered with a coat. invest in some good thermals and you'll be fine during those cold games.
- When out of town to see a game you must always wear the colors. Show your pride at all times whether it's a t-shirt or a jersey.
- When buying a throwback jersey it should be someone you actually saw play the game. Every Time I see a Papale jersey on a young guy I wonder if it's Marky-Mark inspired.