I was pondering why the Superbowl would be hosted in New York and I came up with an interesting conspiracy theory.
Goodell and the owners want to expand market share to Europe thus boosting revenues.
If Goodell and the owners moved the Superbowl to a target European city in one fell swoop I believe there would be a huge backlash.
NOTE: I am assuming markets most open the NFL experience to be Germany and or the UK- which may or may not be right.
Thought Process for:
1) It's cold- I do not want to go there and you never hosted it in a colder US city (recently)
2) Significantly different time zone for players to adjust to.
3) The economic benefits should be given to a Northern US city like Detroit or NY as their populations (like most) are having a really tough time right now.
4)Football is OUR GAME - it is not a global sport like soccer etc. so the host should always be us!
New York does much to address those backlashes
1) New York obviously addresses giving economic benefits to a Northern US city as well as reacquaints the event with a cold environment.
2) New York also is viewed as more of a global city than any northern US city and in hosting the event positions the branding of the event as such. Obviously globally it is viewed in tremendous numbers – but I do not think that resonates with the US client base. I think the NFL will emphasize how people from all over the world came to NY regardless of whether or not it happens. I think this will “nudge” the US consumer to look at the NFL as more of a global product and result in less backlash when the game is moved to London.
What do you guys think on my interpretation? How do you feel about the game being played in Europe?<!--EndFragment-->