Now that it's the off season we can start talking about what players we can trade/trim in order to make way for new talent, so let's see who YOU think is overpaid - under talented - or just plain dead wood. I’m going to concentrate on the ‘pay vs. performance’ angle, not just simply performance. I see Andy Reid and his red pencil looking at several possibilities – especially these guys because of their high salaries. The first one made me cringe every time (the few times) he suited up:
1. - Reggie Brown. – How long has it been since this guy was productive? Was he ever a ‘go-to’ player? When he does catch the ball, has an uncanny ability to miss the first down marker by just one yard, but he usually he just drops it. McNabb doesn't trust him enough to even throw him the ball. He's a waste of green (money and the uniform). Unfortunately we couldn't even trade anybody for him last year. That tells you everything we need to know about him. I think we are just gonna have to pull the switch on this guy and release him so he can see a specialist who can pull all those splinters from the bench out of his ass.
2. - Kevin Curtis – I LOVED him when he was healthy, but I'm tired of waiting for Kevin to get healthy again. Maybe we can afford a better free agent for his salary. His upside was great, but that was an NFL lifetime ago. His big salary makes him more vulnerable. Odds: 70% Kevin is elsewhere next year.
3. - Brian Westbrook - I don't want him to go, but I think 'Andy the Executioner' is going to look at his age/health/salary and make a cold, hard decision. I'd say the chances are 60/40 that he is gone.
4. - Shawn Andrews - I'd be surprised if Shawn is an Eagle next year. I have a funny feeling they are going to be working him out early and often, looking for the slightest hint of back pain (if they even bother). The Big Kid has a nice, fat salary coming. Two years could have finally fixed him, so I'll give him a 40% chance of playing next year - somewhere, if not here.
5. – Stacey Andrews – He got paid an awful lot to not play this year. I have no clue what Andy is thinking here. Is he injured? Is he just not getting the system? I’m 50/50 on him today. Ask me again tomorrow.
Between the salaries of these five, Andy could bring some great Free Agent talent next year.
And then there is Michael Vick, but not because he’s dead wood, so that is another story. It’s going to be another exciting off-season.