After your team has been eliminated from the playoffs. I have a small set of rules that dictate for whom I can root for following the elimination of the Eagles from the Playoffs. I list the rules in order of importance because sometimes the rules will conflict with each other.
1. Never, I mean never, root for an other NFC east team. Who wants to hear the Cowboys fans going on about their "6" rings or hear how great Eli is because he won his second Super Bowl MVP.
2. Never root for a team that hasn't won a Super Bowl before. I'd hate to see the list of teams who haven't won the Super Bowl get whittled down to just the Eagles and Detroit. Remember how smug the Tampa Bay fans were. For a team that basically sucked throughout their history they can still bring out the old "at least we have a Lombardi" argument.
3. Root for the team that has already won the most Super Bowls. Who cares if the Steelers win a 7th Super Bowl. The Eagles aren't going to catch up with them in my lifetime anyway and I don't believe their fans could get any smugger.
4. Root against teams breaking out of long Jinxes. For example I loved the Jinx of the Bambino and hated when the Red Sox were able to break through.
5. Root against teams teams setting new historic precedences. For example I had a tough time with the 2008 NE 18-0 Pats going against the Giants in the Super Bowl but I had to revert to rule #1.
If all these rules just prove to you that I am a jaded Eagles fan, well maybe I am.